This broccoli and kale pasta can be fixed in under 30 minutes and is a tasty way to get your veggies in. By blanching your broccoli and kale in the same water as your pasta, you save yourself some cooking and cleaning time. The pasta to vegetable ratio is nearly 1:1, which helps you prevent eating too much pasta and not enough veg. Enjoy 🙂
Easy Broccoli & Kale Pasta
WHAT YOU NEED
1/2 pound whole wheat rigatoni (or any pasta you like)
14 oz can diced tomatoes
3 oz tomato paste (1/2 of a 6-oz can)
1/2 cup water
1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon dried oregano
1 small head broccoli, florets chopped off into bite sized pieces, stem chopped up
2 cups kale, washed and chopped
4 oz (1 cup) Havarti cheese, shredded (asiago, parmesan and mozzarella would also work well)
1/2 teaspoon salt
Hearty grind of fresh pepper
Fresh basil, thinly sliced (optional but oh so good)
WHAT TO DO
1) Boil and salt (1/2 Tablespoon) a large pot of water. Add pasta and cook until al dente (about 7-10 minutes). When pasta has about 4 minutes left, add broccoli and kale and boil with pasta for remainder of cooking time. Drain everything together in a colander.
2) While pasta is cooking, heat oil over large saute pan and add garlic. Stir frequently so not to burn.
3) Add tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano and water to garlic. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer. Cook about 5 minutes.
4) Return pasta, broccoli, and kale to large pot and add tomato sauce and cheese. Use two spoons to toss everything together. Residual heat will melt cheese.
5) Place in bowls and top with basil
Servings Per Container 4
Amount Per Serving
Calories 426 Calories from Fat 108
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12g 18%
Saturated Fat 6g 30%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 28mg 9%
Sodium 426mg 18%
Total Carbohydrate 65g 22%
Dietary Fiber 11g 44%
Protein 19g 38%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.