Hey Ya’ll! It’s time for another Recipe Redux. The goal of this month’s theme is to get the family back to the table after a crazy summer by reduxing an old family favorite.
Sheppards Pie anyone? This was most definitely a staple of ours growing up and it absolutely deserves a spot on the “comfort foods” list; wouldn’t you agree? Savory ground beef cooked with onions, carrots, peas and sometimes corn, all topped off with lightly toasted mashed potatoes. SO good.
Here’s a healthier version of Sheppards Pie that you can put on your Meatless Monday’s list. I used lentils in place of ground beef, mashed sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes, and added a bit of spinach and cheese. This version has more fiber and really ups the vitamin factor with the spinach and sweet potatoes. Lentils are also cheaper than ground beef, so if you’re on a budget, this will fit your bill.
(What do you think Mom?!)
Meatless Sheppards Pie
Serves ~ 6
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 cups cooked lentils (cook lentils in vegetable or chicken stock)
3 cooked sweet potatoes (roasted, boiled or microwaved)
3 hefty handfuls of fresh spinach leaves
1 cup shredded Havarti cheese (or any cheese you like)
Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350. Oil a 9×5 baking dish and set aside.
- Squeeze potatoes out of peel into a bowl and mash with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Add 1 TBS of oil into a saute pan and cook onion and carrot until fragrant. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add lentils and tomato paste to vegetables, stirring constantly. Allow to cook for 3 minutes and until everything is well combined.
- Spread lentil mixture evenly on the bottom of your baking dish –> Then, layer half your cheese on top of the lentils –> Then layer your spinach –> rest of the cheese –> spread mashed sweet potatoes.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Place under broiler if you’d like the mashed potatoes to brown up a bit.
Need more inspiration for getting your family back to the table in a healthy fashion? Check out some more recipes from my fellow Redux members below!
Happy Saturday 🙂
[inlinkz_linkup id=548736 mode=1]