David, Kiki and I took a quick trip to the beach after work last night. Summer is starting to wind down and I can feel it in the slightly cooler, slightly less humid air. The weather was perfect for a night on the beach. We brought a couple beers and I whipped up this quick Peanut Noodle Salad which we both loved.
Kiki played fetch and ran through the waves like it was the first time she’s ever seen water. She’ll never get tired of this place. And neither will we.
Peanut Noodle Salad
What You Need
1/2 pound whole wheat spaghetti (Somen or Japanese buckwheat noodle would be awesome too)
1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 cup purple cabbage, thinly sliced
Salt and Pepper
For the sauce:
3 TBS rice vinegar
2 TBS sesame oil
2 TBS mirin
2 TBS soy sauce
Juice from one lime
Optional Toppings (not pictured): basil, chopped peanuts, sesame seeds
What To Do
– Cook your pasta according to the directions on the box. For added flavor, add some vegetable or chicken base to your pasta water.
– While pasta is cooking, prep your veggies and scramble your eggs. Place veggies in a large mixing bowl and season with salt and pepper. Place eggs in refrigerator to cool down.
– When pasta is done, drain in colander and rinse with cool water. Add a drizzle of sesame oil and toss to prevent noodles from sticking together.
– Make sauce: Combine all sauce ingredients in small pot and heat over low. Stir frequently and heat just enough to create a homogenous mixture. Remove from heat.
– Add eggs and noodles to veggies in large mixing bowl. Pour sauce on top and toss to incorporate.
– Chill mixture until completely cool, or eat right away.