A hearty stew to keep you warm.
Sweet Potato Stew with Poached Egg
2 sweet potatoes, skins on, chopped
1 cup black lentils (any lentil will work)
1 large carrot, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups water mixed with 1-2 TBS chicken base (the more base, the stronger the flavor and the saltier)
1 handful kale per serving bowl
Eggs for poaching
Cilantro to top
salt and pepper to taste
- Add first 7 ingredients into your crock pot. Set to high and cook for 4-6 hrs or set to low and cook for 8 hrs.
- Poached Eggs
- Bring 4 cups of water + 2 tsps of vinegar to a simmer (vinegar allows the egg white to hold together in a nice tight form). Reduce heat so that there is little to no movement of water in your pot.
- Crack an egg into a small ramekin or bowl. Pouring your egg into the water from a bowl reduces the likelihood of your yolk getting pierced by the eggshell, causing a broken yolk and sad poached egg.
- Pour egg into water and allow to cook about 3-4 minutes. Egg white will become opaque.
- To assemble your bowl: place a bit of kale on the bottom, layer on the stew, top with your egg(s) and garnish with a bit of cilantro.
Don’t have a slow cooker or looking to make this stew in just an hour?
- Add first seven ingredients EXCEPT sweet potatoes to a large stock pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a small, rolling boil and cover. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring periodically.
- Add the sweet potatoes and continue cooking for another 10-15, until sweet potatoes are done. If stew is getting dry, add more water and chicken base (1 tsp base per cup of water).
- Poach and assemble as above.